In short, lionfish do not belong in the Western Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. They are an invasive species eating everything they can their mouths on, spreading faster than a plague of locusts and, consequently, destroying the ecosystems and reefs in which they live.
So we hunt lionfish; some of us hunt them for sport, some of us hunt them for food and some of us hunt them to protect the ocean and our way of life. We all are doing the very best we can to make a difference in our own way.
Our Mission Statement
Lionfish.co promotes the removal of non-native & invasive lionfish through lionfish hunter education, outreach and direct-action hunting campaigns.
We support divers, anglers, “spearos” and many others through public outreach, education and direct action hunting programs, including:
- Lionfish Hunter Safety and Specialty Certification
- Derby and Organized Hunt Promotion and Marketing
- List of Lionfish Hunting Friendly Dive Centers and Guides
- Unified Sport Record Keeping – We Maintain the Official Lionfish Records
- Data Collection for the Scientific Community
- Safe Handling and Lionfish Preparation Suggestions
- Innovative Lionfish Recipes
- List of Restaurants Serving Lionfish
- and much, much more.
Thank you for visiting our Lionfish Hunting website. If this is your first time here and you are looking for information about invasive lionfish, please see our most frequently asked questions about lionfish. For ideas about how you, too, can get involved in the fight to take our seas back please contact us or offer your time and expertise as a direct-action volunteer!
What We Do
L. Scott Harrell and Andy Lowe, administrators of lionfish.co, offer consulting services to dive centers, restaurants and other businesses who are positioned to take advantage of the unique commercial opportunities that the lionfish invasion present.